Flo Rida - Only One Flo (Part One) - AVAILABLE NOW

Latest Mixtapes, Events, and Hip-Hop News from this Future mogul

Latest Mixtapes, Events, and Hip-Hop News from this Future mogul
B.o.B Adventures of Bobby Ray Album Banner 728x90
Photobucket
Photobucket

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

In The Boardroom: BKS

Photobucket

Hip hop has grown to a universe that goes past all boundaries. There are now places you wouldn't think there would be Hip-Hop. My friend is a DJ in Alaska. After Punjabi you see this culture in India. One place that Hip hop has taken over is in Paris, France. Europe is filled with people eager to absorb all their is in our culture that started in New York. Some people even take it further and join the culture themselves. This Boardman is close to the Champ-Elysee. But his sound can be riding in DC. I had to go cross-Atlantic to discover this beat assassin (Shoutout to Certified good lookin!). This man has a track record, working with Akon, Dirty Money, Melanie Fiona! So mes amis, garcons et mademoiselles, C'est le producer de Universial Records BKS (yes let me drop my french. in English, people, here's BKS)

1. Bonjour, BKS, Ca va? Introduce yourself to the rest of the world.

Wass goin on world, I go by James BKS, Music producer under G Prod / SRC

2. So tell me where you from. What part of France? You still live in France right?

I was born and raised in Paris, France. I moved to the U.S. (D.M.V. area) in 2002. I am currently in Paris for a few months, but I’ll be back to the states in September.

3. The difference between Hip hop in France and the States.

I’d say that we embrace Hip Hop culture and can relate to some extent, to what rappers are talking about. But when it comes to the music itself, we usually follow whatever it’s out; not to say that French rappers ain’t original, but for instance when Crunk music popped off in the US, it took us a little time to get familiar with it. Then, when French rappers started following that trend, it was already on to the next one in the U.S.

That’s because these trends come from a cultural background that we don’t have; we just gonna feel the vibe, the whole energy around it and we’ll copy it.

4. The impact US Hip hop have on music in Europe:

The Hip Hop movement is pretty big out here. We’re actually the largest consumer of rap music after the US in Europe, with Germany and England. It affects the way we speak, the way we dress, etc.

5. When did you start producing? Why did you get hooked on it?

I started making beats in 05. I been a music fan ever since I can remember but I didn’t take it seriously until I met this dude named Liban, who became my manager and a close friend. He was the first to believe I had potential to make it in the music industry. We ended up working together and we put out a mixtape in 06 with local acts from the DMV spitin over my beats. The mixtape was called “All we ask is trust”.

Liban was booking showcases and concerts all over the world for artists like Akon, Sean Paul, Fat Joe, etc... He did even set up one of the biggest show in Africa with Jay-z and Beyonce, with the help of Gibson, who was working with Akon closely at the time. Gibson and I became good friends, which led to a business relationship later on. He’s the one who took my career to the next level.

Photobucket

6. What is your style of production?

I’d like to think I’m all around. I listen to all kinds of music from alternative rock to music scores. I wannabe able to create without being stuck in the same box.

7. Talk about the production you did on the french hip hop scale like "King" album and "Pour que tu restes"

The “King” song was my first major placement in Europe. It was on Booba’s album which went gold with over 80 000 units. I particularly like that song because of Rock City’s performance on it. It was also my first collabo of many with Rock City who are, in my opinion, the hottest songwriters in the game right now.

“Pour que tu restes” should have been the first single of Vitaa’s latest album but ended up being the second one. The whole move went kind of bad business wise. I’m not gonna get into details but let’s just say that I won’t work with that kind of artist anymore.

With that being said, this was still a good look for me because she’s one of the biggest Rn’b act in my country and she usually moves good units so let’s see how it turns out.

8. Talk about your other collaborations in the states. You did a lot...You were involved in projects with Melanie Fiona? Asher Roth? how was working with them?

I’ve had the chance to work with numerous songwriters like Kalenna (from Dirty Money), Rock City, Verse Simmonds, dre Meritt or Chasity, who I think are dope.

I also produced a song called “What’s a love affair” for Raheem Devaughn, two songs for Shontelle “Fairy Tale”, “Heart breaker”, but the best is yet to come.. . as far as Asher Roth and Melanie Fiona, I am actually signed under the same label as those two recording artist (S.R.C.), I am currently working on submissions for their coming projects.



9. How did you react when you got signed to Universal?

Man, my team and I (G Prod) have been working hard to get to that level. The recent placements we had in Europe, with “Groove On” which I produced for Timati and Snoop Dogg, as well as “Something like a party”, that my label mate, Jordan, produced for the group called school gyrl in the states (reached top 5 of the dance charts), really got us the attention from the labels.

We ended up signing with S.R.C / Universal which has been a great look for us.



10. Business-wise is it better for a producer to be signed to a major label? Why or why not?

I’d say it really depends on the network and A&R’s that you are working with. Plus you wanna make sure that the label who signs you, really has projects which will get release. Otherwise you gonna get stuck in a deal that does not allow you to work outside of the camp, and you won’t get no placements because the artists that are under your label don’t get their work released.

I think it’s crucial for music producers in this game to have a few good placements by themselves before approaching a major. You don’t want to look for a deal, you wanna have labels and major looking to sign you.

Photobucket
11. What you working with in the studio? like the board, drum machine, etc?



I work with fruity loops and a couple of VST’s. I own a Quosmio Laptop but I’m thinking about getting a Mac…I got teased so many times lately because I was bringing my “huge portable PC” at the studio, while everyone else were using Mac’s…so we’ll see.. lol.


12. How important it is to gain an education in this industry? How big of an advantage a producer or an artist got when they have a degree?

Well first of all, the industry is constantly changing and evolving, it is really important to be up to date with what’s going on, and to have a good understanding of the business behind the music. Plus we all witness how the record sales went down this past few years…it is so important to have a plan B nowadays because you might be hot one months and the next one not getting any work done nor placements..

13. The artists you would love to work with.

I am huge Jay-Z fan so I would say Jigga, but Rick Ross is getting better and better, his last mixtape is hot. I hope to get a chance to work with him one day. “I Think I’m big Meeech” lol

14. Be honest. How is Tony Parker as a rapper? Lol

Well…I hope he’s not taking it too seriously! Let’s just say he is a great Ball player! How about kobe bryant’s music career? lol

15. What are your future projects we should look out for?

Jordan and I just did that crazy song for Tiffany Evans, I can’t wait for this one to get released. You can also look forward to the next Ja Rule projects, he’s coming back hard. We got other few good placements coming, I can’t really talk about it right now but it’s gonna be a good year!

16. What motivates you?

My team, my close friends and family, music in general.



17. Contact info:

Right now you can follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/James_BKS (I just started getting my twitter on!), youtube: bksakadannye


http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_BKS

http://www.myspace.com/bksyess

18. Any Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to DJ Benz, G Prod, SRC, Gary, Brams, Matt I see you!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Listenin session with Ja Rule at Irv Gotti Studio 2 months ago





Check out his beats. I put the snippets together for one mix. BKS

BKS snippets

1 comment: